Day 92 - We Know How the Story Ends
By Mark Finley
One of the major reasons we don’t have to ever live in fear, consumed with worry and anxiety is because we know how the story ends. We know that sickness will not have the last word: Christ will. We know the coronavirus, or any other virus, natural disaster, calamity or nuclear war will not destroy all life on planet Earth. We have the promise of Jesus return. We see famines. We see earthquakes. We see distress of nations. We see the rise of a possible nuclear war. We see the potential of nuclear disaster. We see climate change. We see pestilences taking the lives of thousands.
We see these things, but we have a hope that enables us to thrive in life’s toughest times. There is a sense of confidence that takes us through because we've read the last chapters of the Bible. We know how the story ends. In Revelation 21 verses 4 and 5, John writes, “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, and there shall be no more pain, for the former things are passed away. Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold I make all things new.” Along with the apostle Paul we “are looking for the blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.”(Titus 2:13)
We are Adventists and have not forgotten our heritage. Christ is coming again and coming soon. If we ever lose our vision of the coming of Christ, we will lose our hope. We are Adventists. We look beyond what is, to what will be. We look beyond today to tomorrow. We look beyond sickness to health. We look beyond the pestilences that are carried through the air to the pure air where there will be no more pestilences.
In the ever-increasing natural disasters, political turmoil, economic uncertainty and raging pestilences we see the signs of the coming of our Lord. Although God does not cause these disasters, He has a purpose in allowing them to occur. He is calling us to totally, completely, depend upon Him. He is calling us to our knees. He is calling us to a deeper prayer life and a richer Bible Study experience. He is revealing to us that there is no certainty in the world we live in. Christ is our assurance. He is our security. He is our Savior, our Redeemer, our Deliver, our coming King. What does this virus do when we see it spreading so rapidly? It calls us to our senses.
This world is not all that there is. Christ is speaking to you and to me. Our lives are fragile. Every single one of us live in these fragile earthen bodies. But beyond what is, there is something better yet coming - and that is the glory of Christ. There is something worth living for beyond this life and that's Jesus Christ. Allow Him to fill your heart, to take away your fears, strengthen your resolve and prepare you for His soon return.
HEART QUESTIONS: Have you realized what incredible hope we have as Adventist believers? Do you see how nothing in this world can push us down as long as we have our eyes fixed upon Christ and His promises? Are you going through this pandemic, and every day to come, with the full assurance of God’s great promise of eternal joy, happiness and peace?
ACTIVE HEART CHALLENGE: Take some time today to find all the scriptures in the Bible that point to the great hope of the Second Coming, and the promises related to the new heavens and the new earth. Pick a few verses to memorize, and let the reality of God’s goodness and love for you infuse your days with hope, joy, and assurance in Jesus.
“And the years of eternity, as they roll, will bring richer and still more glorious revelations of God and of Christ. As knowledge is progressive, so will love, reverence, and happiness increase. The more men learn of God, the greater will be their admiration of His character. As Jesus opens before them the riches of redemption and the amazing achievements in the great controversy with Satan, the hearts of the ransomed thrill with more fervent devotion, and with more rapturous joy they sweep the harps of gold; and ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of voices unite to swell the mighty chorus of praise. ‘And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.’ Revelation 5:13. The great controversy is ended. Sin and sinners are no more. The entire universe is clean. One pulse of harmony and gladness beats through the vast creation. From Him who created all, flow life and light and gladness, throughout the realms of illimitable space. From the minutest atom to the greatest world, all things, animate and inanimate, in their unshadowed beauty and perfect joy, declare that God is love.” – The Great Controversy, p. 678
Going Deeper: Additional reading suggestions for this week
• Ellen White, The Controversy Ended
• Frank Hasel, Making Friends for God
Day 92 – Prayer Focus – Friday, June 26, 2020
- Southern Asia-Pacific Division: We thank God that through this initiative more than 5,000 prayer warriors have registered and joined, majority of which are young people. Prayer Networks have formed, and an official prayer ministry of the youth has been voted and established.
- Planned Giving and Trust Services: We praise God for the faithfulness of Seventh-day Adventist members during the 2020 pandemic. Since March 11, 2020 faithful members have established over $1,000,000 in planned gifts that are and will provide funds to support the world-wide mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- We received reports of hundreds of baptisms as a result of the 100 Days of Prayer. We praise God for everybody who has been praying for all evangelistic efforts going on. To God be the glory!
- A literature evangelist from Tanzania: God has done a miracle for me in the 100 Days of Prayer. I prayed that God would connect me with someone to give Bible studies. Two days later, a lady from a place more than 7km away, came to my home. ‘You sold me some books, I have read them and found the truth, I have come to you so that I can continue to learn’ she said. We are progressing with our Bible studies and the lady is ready to commit her life to Jesus. God has answered my prayer!
- A non-believer was stuck with an Adventist family during the lockdown. That family participated in the 100 Days of Prayer. This young man told them that prayer is a waste of time. Shortly after he caught COVID-19. He was transported to another place for quarantine, where he experienced a change of heart and encouraged people to pray like the Adventists he had stayed with prior. He, and all people there were miraculously healed. He and another person committed to God in baptism on June 14!
- Pray for Lennox. He is a six-year-old boy. He has no stable ligaments in his body. His lens in his eye has come loose and he may go blind. He has gigantism, mars, and an enlarged heart. Pray for all the sick children around the world.
- Pray for Northeast India and other parts of the world where COVID-19 cases are rising again.
- Pray for children of Adventist families who have lost their way or are in a state of confusion and rebellion.
- Pray for individuals who are considering going into full-time ministry. Pray for a clarity of their calling, and for any obstacles to be removed.