I Will Go. . . To My City.
“But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf . . .” – Jeremiah 29:7
“The importance of making our way in the great cities is still kept before me. For many years the Lord has been urging upon us this duty, and yet we see but comparatively little accomplished in our great centers of population. If we do not take up this work in a determined manner, Satan will multiply difficulties which will not be easy to surmount. We are far behind in doing the work that should have been done in these long-neglected cities. The work will now be more difficult than it would have been a few years ago. But if we take up the work in the name of the Lord, barriers will be broken down, and decided victories will be ours.” – Ministry to the Cities, p. 25
The majority of the world lives in cities. While we are to ask God to show us when to move to the countryside, we are not to neglect the work in the cities. Billions are trapped without hope in the addictions, noise, distractions, and the lifestyle of the cities.
Pray for God to give you a burden for ministry to the cities. Maybe He is calling you to start a “center of influence”, a ministry-minded business, in order to reach lost souls in the cities of the world? Or maybe He is calling you and your church to engage in a holistic outreach through various ministries to the people of your city?
Why not ask God to show you how to best minister to the people of your city?
- Grant L.: In order to make up for lost school days the government of South Africa extended the school week to 6 days, including Saturdays. The Southern Africa Union Conference appealed to the government to allow Seventh-day Adventist learners to be exempted from any Sabbath classes and the government consented to the appeal. We praise God for hearing our prayers!
- Dalmas O.: Praise be to Almighty God for He is faithful to His promises! I work as a literature evangelist in Kenya. I have experienced God's blessing during the pandemic. I realized a sales rise as of the month of March, the trend is steady!
- Amanda M.: I am communicating with U.S. Soldiers in the war zone. I am sharing the 100 Days of Prayer with them and I can see God working on their hearts and in what decisions they are making in the field.
- Anonymous: For as long as I remember, my father was an alcoholic. As a family we have been praying that the Lord will relieve him from this bondage, and He has surely done it! My father is also participating in 100 Days of Prayer sessions and even enthusiastic to lead the prayer session!
- We received reports from young children passionately participating in prayer meetings all around the world! Praise God His Spirit is working through them!
Day 98 - Prayer Focus
- Pray for your city and the cities of the world that are more and more turning into Sodom and Gomorrah. Pray for God to help you, your family, and your church in establishing centers of influence, ministries and various ways to reach out to the billions who wander in darkness in the cities.
- Pray for a health-food store in Latvia which was opened by a Millennial engineer who quit his job to work full-time in what he calls “business evangelism.” Please ask God to bless this business, to create connections with the community, and to help customers to hunger for food that will bring them eternal life. Pray for all centers of influence around the world, and for many more Adventists to start mission-focused businesses.
- Pray for a juice bar in Ogden, Utah, which is reaching out to young people there. Please pray for success and for this ministry to be replicated in many places around the world.
- Pray for the Vibrant Life Medical and Wellness Clinic in Bangalore, India, which offers natural treatments for chronic diseases such as hypertension, obesity, and diabetes. Please ask God to pour out His Spirit on staff so that His love will flow through them to the people they serve.
Going Deeper: Additional reading suggestions for this week
• Ellen White, The Controversy Ended
• Frank Hasel, Making Friends for God
To download this week's devotional and prayer requests, click here
Visit the We-Pray Online Prayer room or leave your prayer requests below!